Interesting things

17
May
2012

by Maša

The song “Glorious Silba” (1906. sung by Gaetan Rasol from the Year-book) There is white area in the center of canal, thirty miles far from the town. That is, brothers, loving * Silba called, In which doves grow fat… (* or glorious)   The most frequently mentioned attraction on Silba is Toreta. It is a hexagonal tower with an external spiral staircase. It is located in the village center, close to the local post office and is 15 meters high. Toreta is, according to legend, built in the 19th century by captain Peter Marinić erected as a memory to sorely missed love.

From the parish church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the center of the village until the church of Sv. Mark at the cemetery at regular intervals along the way are placed seven white chapels. Each chapel stands for two positions of the Way of Cross, over which was passing ecclesiastical procession on the eve of Easter. On the island there are six more votive churches that were built or whether were build by sailors. The oldest church is the church of Sv. John the Baptist from the 15th century.The present church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary began to build at the 1800., and is dedicated at the 1850. There are seven marble altars, and a bell tower which is about 20 meters from the parish church, was built in the 18th century on the place where used to be the church. From all this it is observed that on Silba ruled rich Catholic spirit.

Inevitable destination is certainly protected underwater archaeological site of ancient sarcophagi in the bay of Pocukmarak. During the 5th and 6th century, many families on Silba ordered the sarcophagi for the burial of family members and placed them in the church or in its vicinity. With the arrival of a new population these sarcophagi and their lids were used as building material for the construction of a small pier in the valley. Thus the early Christian tombs, covered with stone pile, were preserved to this day and can be seen under the sea.

For defense against pirates and as a system of informing citizens and neighboring islanders (during night by fire and during day by smoke) the citizens of Silba built guard-houses: four at the entrance to the village, and two outside the village. There were a few bounded: Molat, Premuda and Ilovik because of the same danger. Some remains of the guard-houses can still be found in Papranica, Mul and in Cove of St. Anthony. That last is the best preserved, and it was built during the 17th century. During the alert, people took shelter in a fortress called Castles. Four of them are mentioned, and today the only recognizable remains of one of them are located close to the school. They had entrance on the 2 meter height which was connected with stone scales and drawbridge and had loop holes for defense. This is the story from the 16th, 17th and 18th century, and with the increase of population in the late 18th century began the building of the houses with a system of defense (loop holes in the walls of the court, near the front door and at the two-storey house on the top floor).

 

From 16th to 19th century there was a king institution on Silba who was chosen by majority votes by locals on the holiday of St. Stjepan. The king’s authority lasted 12 days, and the king of that time wore a brazen crown and divided justice in all charges and arguments. In memory of that time the crown is now kept in the treasury in the parish church, and there is opera “King of Silba” from 19th century, which carries the memory of the event.

  Varh is with 83 meters the highest point on the island. It is located in the north of the island, and it is easiest way to approach from the south side from near bay of Papranica. From the Varh, there is a beautiful view of the neighboring islands. When you arrive at Silba, you can not skip and do not look at the gallery of sculptress Marija Ujević Galetović and as well as some of many cultural events at Silba’s cultural summer.